Monday, October 22, 2007

You’ve Got a Friend

Susaphone Sunset
Photo by Suna
When you’re down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
Carole King

UIL Competition

TubaBoy and Beccano competed with the rest of the McNeil band in UIL on Saturday. They earned a Division 1.

Church Fund Raising

We played two songs (Carole King’s “You’ve Got a Friend” and somebody’s “Teach Your Children”) for the church’s pledge drive dinner on Sunday. Almost everyone who stayed to listen to the speeches and music was a performer. It is sad, in a way.

Grateful Monday

Today I am grateful for music—the music I play and the music I listen to. Music is integral to human spirituality, I think. Someone at church yesterday quoted someone else as saying that musicians and poets are the true prophets. While I won’t go that far, I believe that music gives us a glimpse at the mind of God.

Tolkien based his creation mythos on music. The Greeks talked of the music of the spheres. Music can inspire tears and leave us breathless. It can make us feel the pain of others or take our own pain away. It can intrude on our most private selves and lay them bare to the world, and it can protect us from prying.

Music is our link to the eternal. It is holy, even when it is profane. I would not want to live in a world without music.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

As my wacky little sister would say, "True that, dog." (Ask Suna about the delightful oddity that is my sister.) Can I quote you on that "music gives us a glimpse at the mind of God" notion? I like it. I definitely am feeling lots of good stuff after getting back into singing this year. Now if I could just figure out how to play guitar and sing at once, I'll be ecstatic. Of course, I should start off with the baby step of walking and chewing gum....

Lee said...

You're welcome to quote me anytime. Thanks for the flowers.

Post a Comment