Friday, February 15, 2008

More Than Human

Book Cover from Library Thing
Originally published in 1953, More Than Human was nominated for the 1954 Retro Hugo award in 2004.
Photo Source: Library Thing
You have the most appealing surface I have seen
Bring it over here
Lay it down by me
—Al Stewart

The other night I dreamed that I had a wireless network connection embedded in my brain. It left a big scar on my forehead, but that was necessary. The antenna was a thin, silver wire that followed the scar. Although the scar was jagged and over my right eye, it was not a lightning bolt, avoiding the whole Harry Potter image. And the little silver wire that formed the antenna was kinda cute.

Now I know that is not an original concept:

  • Theodore Sturgeon won a nebula award for More Than Human, a classic story about coming-of-age when you’re part machine. I will always treasure the pure romanticism of “You stimulate my emosensors.”
  • Manfred Clynes and Nathan Kline coined the term cyborg in 1960 to refer to a self-regulating hybrid of machines and humans.
  • Then there is the Borg in the Star Trek universe.

Speculative fiction always seems to focus on the negative aspects of any technology. Perhaps it is just that we humans prefer to be scared of anything new or different. Embracing change is difficult, but we must try somehow. If you want to find your inner cyborg, see Cyborg.NameDecoder.com . Mine is shown to the right

Image Source: Cyborg.NameDecoder.com
References
  • Clynes and Kline (1960). Cyborgs and Space. Astronautics.
  • Sturgeon, Theodore (1953). More Than Human. Victor Gollancz.

Friday’s Feast

Appetizer: Name one thing that is unique about you.
With more than 4-billion humans on this planet, I don’t know that anything about me is truly unique. Maybe the combination of traits is unique, but I don’t really think so. I have seen pictures of my doppelganger, and he even had the same kind of bass guitar I do.
Soup: Fill in the blank: My favorite ______ is _______, but I like _______, too.
My favorite music is difficult to play, but I like simple songs, too.
Salad: What type of wood do you have for your home's furnishings?
As many varieties as possible. I even like mixing woods in the same room. I love wood it all its variations.
Main Course: Who do you talk to most often on the phone?
Suna
Dessert: What level of responsibility do you have at your job?
Depends on how you look at it. I am a contractor, so I have absolutely no responsibility. But I act as a consultant. People listen to me and follow my recommendations. With that power comes responsibility, as Spiderman might say.

No comments:

Post a Comment