Sunday, January 11, 2009

Firewood Bin

Here are the bones of the new firewood bin, constructed partially out of recycled materials.

Suna wasn’t feeling well by the end of church today. So we came home instead of attending the steering committee meeting as we had originally intended. That meant I had plenty of time to finish the project I started yesterday.

I used as much recycled material as I could. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of exterior grade 2x4 I had. That meant I couldn’t put the top brace on that I intended.

I laid this leftover mesh across the frame to help with smaller pieces.

But that isn’t a problem. I can use 1x2 instead of 2x4. That way I will have a lot more head room to work with, and the bin will be just as sturdy. In fact, I used so many deck screws that I probably don’t need to worry about the top brace.

Here it is with a little wood.

I will anyway.

After I finished, I had just enough daylight left to start loading firewood. I was able to clear one whole pile of trimmings. Soon there won’t be any brush piles left.

I wonder if we will be able to get grass to grow back there.

2 comments:

Suna said...

Grass would be so nice.

Lee said...

We’ll hope for enough light and water.ff

Post a Comment