Friday, October 19, 2007

Dirty Old Egg-Suckin’ Dog

Buddy in 2003
Well he’s not very handsome to look at
Oh he’s shaggy and he eats like a hog
And he’s always killin’ my chickens
That dirty old egg-suckin’ dog
—Johnny Cash

Today marked the end of the first week of my new contract. I have seen a lot of people I know for the first time in a couple of months. It’s been a real treat, more so than just knowing I have money coming in.

One of the people I work with has a collection of Far Side cartoons pinned to the cube wall. One of them shows a dog about to press the plunger and detonate a few sticks of dynamite that are laying next to a house. Inside the house, a woman is yelling to her male counterpart, “The dog is trying to blow up the house again. Catch him in the act or he’ll never learn.”

Friday’s Feast

Appetizer: If you were a dog, what breed would you be, and why?
A mutt. I like mutts. They tend to be stronger, smarter, braver, and friendlier than pure breeds. As a human, I am a mutt; why should I be something else as a dog?
Soup: What does the color purple make you think of?
  1. The phrase the color purple makes me think of the movie, which I never saw.
  2. Thinking about the color makes me think of a monastery. Not sure why. I just see a gold robe with a purple sash.
Salad: Approximately how long does it take you to get ready each morning?
90 minutes: an hour to wake up, 30 minutes to get ready.
Main Course: How many cousins do you have, and are you close to them?
None, really. My father’s brother was childless. I never met my mother’s side of the family. There may be distant cousins, on my dad’s side, but I don’t think of them as such, just as relatives.
Dessert: Take your initials (first, middle, last) and come up with something else those letters could stand for.
Extended length bronchitis.
I prefer to use both of my middle initials and leave the result as an acronym: E-LAB. It sounds so scientific-like.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

It's always nice to find another cool mutt. On the one hand, I've enjoyed being able to claim heritage on many international holidays throughout my life. On the other hand, I've had to do lots of explaining when people ask where my family originates from...ah, the wandering Jews. Thanks for giving me a new perspective.

Post a Comment