Friday, November 30, 2007

Millwork

I know editing documents isn’t as hard as millwork or (un)loading trucks. I’ve done enough of those to know that editing is much easier on the back and pays better.
Photo by: Clay Enos
Then it’s me and my machine
For the rest of the morning
For the rest of the afternoon
And the rest of my life
—James Taylor

So this whole week has involved staring an Word documents, technical references, and Flash presentations in an effort to improve some outdated training materials for ALE. The good news is that they authorized a little overtime. But it has been a long, brain-deadening week.

Friday Feast

Appetizer: What is your favorite carnival/amusement park ride?
Even as a child, I didn’t really like amusement park rides. They were all either too scary or too boring. (Yes, I was a wimp.) If I had to choose, I remember liking bumper cars the best. You were in control. You could run into things, and you wouldn’t get hurt.
I think my dad ruined bumper cars for me. He wanted me to treat the cars like practice for driving a real car. Where’s the fun in that?
Soup: How do you react in uncomfortable social situations?
Like Suna, I try to avoid them. Harmony is very important to me, but I won’t sacrifice my beliefs for the sake of conformity—except maybe where Dad is concerned.
Salad: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest, how much do you enjoy discussing deep, philosophical topics?
4. Not nearly so much as I did when I was trying to figure out what I believe. Like many philosophers (as opposed to philosophists) I think the questions are usually more important than the answers. I would rather ask and listen than argue. Hmmm. That’s my favorite teaching style, too.
Main Course: Did you get a flu shot this year? If not, do you plan to?
No. No. I am phobic about flu shots. I have no problem with other inoculations.
Dessert: Approximately how many hours per week do you spend watching television?
Too much. 15-30 hours. At the end of the day, my brain and eyes are usually too tired to do much reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment