Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Home Again

The Hermit Haus team in San Diego The Hermit Haus team: Carol, Russell, Suna, and me Suna on the stairs at the hotel. Suna is ready to go home.
Than and Me Here I am with Than Merrill of Flip That House, CT Homes, and Fortunebuilders Blurred faces in the Fortunbuilders skybox Grand Coast Capital took a few investors to see the San Diego Chargers play. Suna is in the front. Paul Esajian stands behind her, and I’m peeking over his shoulder. I blurred all the face except for us and employees of GCC.
Traveling at night, the headlights were bright
And we’d been up many an hour
And all through my brain
Came the refrain of home and its warming fire

— Karla Bonoff

We’re finally home. It was a long weekend in San Diego, but we survived and we learned. A lot. I’ll be posting about what we learned on the Hermit Haus blog over the next couple of months.

More importantly, we came together as a team and had a good time. Thankfully Russell and Carol rented a car, so we were not stuck eating the dreadful hotel cooking. We were able to get away for a few quiet meals, including on nice sushi meal somewhere in SD proper.

Fortunebuilders put on a mixer for those of us who joined the “Inner Circle,” which gives us better access to the big three: Than Merrill, JD Esajian, and Paul Esajian. From what I can tell, Than is the CEO of Fortunebuilders and its subsidiary companies. JD runs the renovation business, and Paul runs the financials, including Grand Coast Capital, a national hard-money lender.

Because Suna and I invested in Grand Coast, we got invited to see the San Diego Chargers play a home game and network with other investors. They put us on a bus and led us up to the Fortunebuilders skybox, where they put on a board of finger foods and booze. We had to leave before the game was over, but that’s okay. I wasn’t really interested in the Chargers. Apparently, nobody else was, either.

But the important thing is that I survived flying there and back again. I’ve never been a fan of airports and airlines, but now TSA seems to be actively everyone to drive to their destinations. If only Suna had the time. I love seeing the country at ground level. What I can see now may all be overly familiar, but that is comforting. At least I don’t have to worry about “special screening” at home or in my car.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment