Thursday, June 16, 2016

Work-Life (Im)Balance or “My Why”

I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling this is how we balance work and life in Corporate America. Actually, I should’ve tipped the scale a little more toward work.
You’ll never find this guy in an airport. Driving the country enables you to enjoy life and see the country. Photo by Carolina Bird Club
A glass-bottomed boat captain told us it would bring five years of good luck to have our pictures taken standing in the embrace of this tree. So here we are. Not that we’re superstitious or anything. Photo by Anita
This post originally appeared on the Hermit Haus Redevelopment website on 2016-06-09.
When I used to work in the corporate world, management had this thing they called work-life balance. They understood on some level that you couldn’t just work people to death. One even told me with a straight face, “We work to live; we don’t live to work.”
Unfortunately, management always lost sight of that goal at some point, no matter how much Mahogany Row would like to. Between product release deadlines, understaffed departments, and the unending goal to “do more with less,” the employees (if not the management) began referring to the work-work balance. In other words, “How do I work hard enough to keep my job without going crazy or postal?”
Well, that is one of the reasons I love running this company so much. You haven’t seen me post on [the Hermit Haus] blog in over a week because we ran away to Florida to celebrate Sue Ann’s high school reunion in person. No, I’m not putting a number to the reunion. (Sue Ann says, thanks.)
We chose to drive, because I think you miss out on so much of the country when you fly. And driving lets you avoid being treated like a piece of pink slime in the airports. But seriously, when was the last time you saw a roseate spoonbill in an airport? We saw several—not to mention countless other interesting birds—in their natural habitats while driving through Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida. Did I mention the Everglades?
I got to meet a lot of my wife’s oldest friends, and I liked all of them. I’m not usually good in a crowd of strangers unless I’m on stage or have a microphone in my hand. But I have to admit all of the folks she’s kept in touch with are genuinely nice and interesting people.
I have to admit; I didn’t leave my phone at home. We participated in the daily huddle meetings while driving or from our hotel rooms. Nor did I stop marketing. We told everyone we met about the business. Almost all of them brought it up first. We sprinkled a pleasure trip with business contacts. We also looked at projects wherever we stopped. You can truly do this business anywhere.
So that’s one of my “why’s.” Sue Ann and I were able to take a week off and drive across the country with minimal involvement in our business. While we were gone, work continued on all of our active redevelopment projects, and our acquisition pipeline kept active. I met old friends who may become new partners. And I had a genuinely relaxing and good time while doing all of this.
After decades as a wage slave to corporate America, I can finally say I have achieved that elusive balance between work and life. And that’s not counting my dad’s adage: “If you love what you do, it’s ain’t work.” That attitude kept him planting corn when he was 92. I hope to be redeveloping houses at 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment