Monday, March 10, 2008

On the Eve of Fifty

I worked from home today so that I could spend some time with The Prince and the Boys, who are on Spring Break. Mostly I worked. When Suna got home, she told me that she would not have to pay for her insurance at the University, but she can’t add me until we are actually married. The good news is that if she works there for five years (?), she will have insurance for life.

The Prince insisted on paying at the Chinese restaurant where we had dinner. Hunan Ranch is a strange name, but it fits in with the Avery Ranch theme of the neighborhood. We used to joke about Avery Ranch being a type of salad dressing, and Hunan was a ranch dressing with Hunan seasonings. This joke got even funnier when the “A” on one of the signs burned out, leaving “very Ranch” after dark.

We dropped in to Hunan Ranch a couple of months ago, just on a lark. I am glad we did. The food has been consistently good, no matter what we try. The prices are reasonable, and the atmosphere is relaxing. Even though they took the industrial approach to the ceilings and air conditioning system, the floors are carpeted, and the walls seem to absorb the much of ambient noise. You can talk without screaming to be heard over the pep rally that seems to be an annoyingly consistent feature of restaurants these days. As usual, we each ordered what we wanted and then sampled from everybody else’s.

Grateful Monday

So this week I am grateful to have The Prince come visit. I really like hanging around with him. Too bad he lives so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment