Saturday, January 17, 2009

Regional Band Concert

Region 26 Band The pictures I took all came out a bit dark, but you can see them on Facebook.

I knew a month or more ago that TubaBoy had made Regional Band. That’s quite an accomplishment, and he deserves it. He is quite a talented tuber…er, tuba-er…tuba-ist? He is very talented even though he never practices at home.

I found out yesterday that the Regional Band concert was today in Georgetown. Suna, Beccano, and I piled into the truck to trek to the town of Georges.

It turns out that TubaBoy made Regional Symphonic Band. The Regional Concert Band opened the show and had a much more accessible program, including one piece that caused us to buy the CD they were recording.

The Symphonic Band played some very modern music, one piece of which included dodecaphony—a musical technique that uses all 12 notes of the chromatic scale. I didn’t know they were supposed to play all 12 notes at the same time. It was rather painful. On the up side, they closed with several pieces by Leonard Bernstein. As the musical heir to one of my favorite composers, Aaron Copeland, this part of the show was most enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment