Friday, February 20, 2009

Food for Thought #5

Few things beat this blend of shrimp, garlic, and peppers. Nummy!

Photo source: Closet Cooking

Other than the economy, anti-Americanism has been causing some people in the United States (and some of our neighbors who fear being mistaken for an American) to reconsider travel abroad. That got me thinking…

Appetizer: Have you ever traveled outside your native country?
I have been to Canada, Mexico, Panamá, and El Salvador. Oh, and as Cheech and Chong would say, “and parts of Alabama.” Each country offered something unique in culture and landscape. And even though, El Salvador was the most dangerous—kidnapping is a growth industry there—it was still fun.
Soup: What’s the farthest from home you have ever ventured?
I think Edmonton, Alberta is actually farther north from me than either San Salvador or Cuidád Panamá, but I haven’t done the math recently enough to be sure. Oddly, most of my trips abroad have all landed me in the same time zone—with the exception of my trips to Canada, which have taken me to all the time zones in the lower 48 states, plus one.
Salad: Do you plan to travel abroad any time in the future, however long it may be? If so, where?
I hope so. I want to see New Zealand and parts of Australia. I have also wanted to visit he ruins of the Shaolin temple in Henan since I was a teen.
Entré: What would deter you most, fear of being targeted as an American, the security considerations of your on nation, or something else?
That answer depends on destination. For most of the world, excluding the caliphate (past, present, or potential), I am more afraid of my own country’s security policies. I’ve had to dig through my vehicle for change to be allowed back in to the United States after having spent too much of my cash in Canada. The Border Patrol won’t take an ATM card.
Dessert: If you could go anywhere in the world for free, where would you most want to go?
Answering this one, I realize it is redundant for me. I hope it isn’t for everyone. But since I worded the question in the superlative, I’ll go with New Zealand. Peter Jackson did an awesome job showcasing the terrain, but that only reinforced a desire to go. I first started thinking about a trip there (or possible emigration) in the late 1980s.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Here’s the code to paste in your own blog. Please leave a link to the answers.
<dl><dt><strong>Appetizer: </strong> Have you ever travelled outside your native country? </dt>
<dd>Answer</dd>
<dt><strong>Soup: </strong> What's the farthest from home you have ever ventured? </dt>
<dd>Answer</dd>
<dt><strong>Salad: </strong> Do you plan to travel abroad any time in the future, however long it may be? If so, where? </dt>
<dd>Answer</dd>
<dt><strong>Entré: </strong> What would deter you most, fear of being targeted as an American, the security considerations of your on nation, or something else? </dt>
<dd>Answer</dd>
<dt><strong>Dessert: </strong> If you could go anywhere in the world for free, where would you most want to go? </dt>
<dd>Answer</dd></dl>

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

Thank you for the code. Also, I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award even though you aren't a knitter.

Lee said...

Thanks, Dragonfly.

Post a Comment