Monday, April 09, 2007

Zombies at ALE

Image Source: Blizzard

Last night I dreamed of work and zombies.

For some reason, ALE had moved into a huge office tower. The phones and network went dead. I think the power was out, but the lights were still on. Almost everybody had gone home, but a few others and I remained. I don’t know why.

I got the impression that those of us who remained were there for days, waiting for something to do, waiting for something to happen. We were just little larks, sitting on our perches and wondering when the food would run out. The elevators were not working, and we were afraid of the stairwells. There was a sense of doom, and we complained that none of us had any weapons. Occassionally, someone would venture down a stairwell, and there would be horrid noises, and they wouldn’t come back.

We just waited. No real violence. No real danger. Just apprehension and waiting. It was like Sean of the Dead without the action, adventure, or humor.

Just like at work the last two weeks.

I didn’t sleep much.

1 comment:

Suna Kendall said...

Wow, you have dreams where the metaphors are overly obvious, too!

Before I was "let go" from the Dysfunctional Nonprofit Organization, I went through THREE MONTHS of "just sitting on my perch." I waited and waited for the axe to fall, quite cogniscant that I was no longer "in charge" of my project. So, my coworkers and I just thought up new projects to do while we could, so when I left and my staff were told they had to do other things or leave, we felt really good that we'd made a contribution that would help our audience.

Post a Comment